Jay Maisel Stories

Jay Maisel Stories

Peter B. Kaplan wedding, May 1985


Peter B. Kaplan, the crazy photographer that climbed all of the tallest buildings and bridges of the world was to be married on some scaffolding on the top of the Empire State Building in NYC. Yes, scaffolding above the observation deck, on top of the Empire State Building!


Peter rented a helicopter for Jay to shoot the wedding from. Special permission was granted to get up close to the wedding party on top of the building. Jay and I jumped in the helicopter, both doors off, a bunch of cameras and lenses, circling the Empire many times, getting as close as possible.


It was all I could do to keep from the cameras, lenses, film etc… from falling out the open sides, let along hang on for the wild ride. At one point I remember doing donuts above the building, helicopter tilted on it’s side, looking straight down the open doorway. I still get chills!


This is the New York Post photographers view, as you can see we are in the helicopter that looks like it is pasted to the side of the Empire State Building.


At the party later, the wedding couple told us they were getting blown around by the helicopter wind wash. It seems we were close, very close.



By Al (Albert) Normandin assistant to Jay Maisel from 1982 to 1985.




Comments