Jay Maisel, the human I got to know

Jay Maisel, the human I got to know.

 January 18, 1931 - August 20, 2026

It’s impossible to put into words how I feel about Jay.


Of course his long history as a leader, legend and icon in the creative world cannot be compared. Or even described without leaving out so much more of his history and impact on the industry and influence on so very very many.


But I got to know him as a human being, a distracted child, finding images of interest in anything, really anything. His attraction, distraction was endless. There was so much evidence of his mind in the six floors of the The Bank building at 190 The Bowery, NYC.


When he moved to Brooklyn, he told me that he got rid of so much stuff, but I did not believe him. He still managed to fill two buildings in Brooklyn with his findings, collections and his endless photographic work.


The man was obsessed to say the least.


In the 1980’s I saw a couple black and white images of Jay’s in a magazine. I found out he was teaching at Tahoe Photo Workshops, and decided I had to go. The first night, Jay showed hundreds of incredible color images, my eyes lit up and I said to myself, that’s what I want to do! 


I hounded him for the week. I asked Jay what should I do to become a photographer, he said “Come to New York!”


After many months of calling The Bank trying to reach Jay, he finally called me back. I told him I was coming to New York. He said “I haven’t got a fucking thing for you or fucking place for you to stay, but you’re welcome to come.”


It was the best non-invitation I could hope for. I quit my job fixing machines on a Friday, bought a one-way plane ticket to New York City, arrived on a Monday morning and said, now I am going to be a photographer.


Jay eventually let me into his world at The Bank. 


Yes, he was one of the great master photographers of our time. A visual child that could always surprise you with his findings and his fascinations with light, color and shadow. Jay would take great pleasure and excitement in showing you his latest discoveries that made you wonder, how the hell did he see this?


A tough, confident, big man, a real New Yorker. But deep down, he was a very caring person. Jay was like a father to me. Jay pushed me to become a better person and a better photographer. His influence was one of those things you did not realize until you walked away and finally found yourself.


Years later he would always tell me that I was the one he could never wear out. I guess that was a compliment?


Jay, I think of you almost every day with all of your wisdom and wisecracks. Working for you was the greatest time in my life. Getting to know you and be a part of your family was the greatest gift. 


With great sadness you are gone now. You lived a very very full life for 95 years. The world is a much better place because of you and will certainly not be the same without you.


I love you and will miss you forever!

My deep condolences to LA and Amanda.

Al (Albert) Normandin








Comments