The Light

Recently, I have been asked by many about my lighting techniques on the portraits I have done in Myanmar.

On camera flash, a small softbox on one side, a reflector, bounce card? These are just some of the guesses I hear.

My response is a surprised laugh, lighting techniques? What lighting?

Sure, I have plenty of lighting equipment. But on these travel adventures, I do not pack any lighting at all, not even a reflector.

My technique? is simple, look for the light. I have spent most of my career, searching and studying light. Natural light, available light, existing light, whatever it may be.

Sunlight, window light, stray light, even ugly artificial light from man-made sources. Light is light, to be found, studied and put to use any way you can.

The challenge is to find the light and to compose an image in this light.

Produced with the Fujifilm GFX50s and GF 110mm F2 lens.


*click on image to see larger



Comments