Bigger is Better?

Bigger is better? Well yes, it is. The Fujifilm GFX 50s camera



I have been using the Fujifilm X-T2 mirrorless camera system for almost a year now and I am thrilled. It was a big step for me to finally change completely over to the mirrorless cameras, but I have not looked back.

I recently had the opportunity to try the new Fujifilm GFX 50s camera.

The GFX 50s is the big brother to the X-T2. Yes, it certainly is bigger, but it is surprisingly light and comfortable. And it is not any bigger than a DSLR camera.

This GFX is basically a 645 medium format camera, but digital and mirrorless! With a huge 50 megapixel sensor!

A big part of my career has been shooting panoramic landscapes with specialized hand made film cameras and also with the Fujifilm GX617 film camera. It is a different way of working, especially in challenging locations all over the world.


A digital replacement for this type of work has not been readily available at an affordable price, size, and weight, up until now.

This is what I was hoping for in the GFX system. And the camera far exceeded my hopes and dreams.

The image resolution and quality are there, no question at all. But the convenience of choosing from a number of different formats at the touch of a button, and being able to see what fits the scene instantly is what impressed me. While still retaining the full-size raw file.


Realizing this is a larger, more sophisticated camera, I imagined it would be a bit more challenging to use. But actually, I was surprised. Like the X-T2 in many ways, but somehow it just felt simpler and more direct. The controls and operation made sense and just worked. The camera is very well laid out and intuitive. And the buttons and menus are customizable to your personal preferences.

I did use the camera on a tripod for many long exposures, similar to how I would have used my film cameras from the past.

But I also used the camera hand held, capturing moments like I would have with the X-T2 cameras. And it performed, yet again, better than I expected.



This camera is a universal tool, giving you the options of different formats, with extremely high-quality results. And the ease of use that you can expect from a smaller system.

There is no need to go into detail about the incredible dynamic range and high resolution of the files. Or the long list of impressive specifications, as this can easily be found in the many online reports and reviews on the GFX.



But take it from me, this camera is great. I would not hesitate to use it for any assignment or project I may have. But don’t pick it up and try it, as you won’t want to let it go…..




Comments